Skin Care Tips
- Make sure your skin is clean and completely dry before applying the adhesive.
- Adjust the hole in the adhesive so that it is an exact fit around your stoma.
- Check the size of the stoma regularly, especially if you have a hernia.
- For most people, water is sufficient for cleaning the skin. If you choose to use soap, use a mild soap without lotions or creams that may leave a residue or film on your skin. This can interfere with the adhesive.
- If you decide to use an adhesive remover, wash your skin with soap and water afterwards. Rinse and dry thoroughly before applying your next skin barrier.
- Things NOT recommended for routine skin care around your stoma:
- Soap with lotions
- Baby wipes
- Rubbing alcohol
- Steroidal medications
- Ointments that are not prescribed by your doctor
- Remember to wash your hands before and after changing or emptying your pouch.
- Change your appliance as soon as you feel any discomfort. No skin irritation is normal. If you discover you have red, broken, itchy or irritated skin, seek the assistance of a qualified healthcare professional.