After Surgery Tips
- It’s important to remember that it takes time to adjust, but it will get easier.
- With support from your ostomy nurse and practical guidance you will learn how to change your ostomy pouch, care for your skin and focus on helping you become confident in taking care of your stoma.
- Keep hydrated, drink lots of water.
- Get in touch with other people with ostomies, whether it’s a support group in your community or online. Getting advice from other people who have an ostomy is a great way to boost your confidence.
- Most people can return to work about 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.
- You will need to restrict activities during the first 2 to 4 weeks after surgery, including driving and heavy lifting.
- For the first 6 to 8 weeks after ostomy surgery, your health care provider may recommend a low-fiber diet to give the bowel time to heal.
- Eating small meals frequently will help regulate your stoma function.